I provide the following items at the hostel, to save you carrying them….
- Ecoleaf Washing up liquid
- Tea towels and dishcloths
- Ecoleaf dishwasher tablets
- Ecoleaf hand soap in kitchen and bathrooms
- Biodegradable bin bags.
- Foil, baking parchment, cling film/beeswax wraps
- Vegetable and olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Jars of tea, coffee, (including decaf tea and coffee) & sugar
- First aid kit
- Toilet roll – please do not use toilet wet wipes unless compostable.
- Items available on request:
- BBQ box with plates, 2 grills & utensils
- Toy boxes – large wooden train set, duplo Lego.
- Dog kit box – blankets and 2 bowls
What’s provided in the hostel kitchen…
The kitchen is fully equipped with enough mugs, glasses, side plates, dinner plates, bowls & cutlery for 20 people. Plus baking trays, mixing bowls, grater, weighing scale, cafetieres, tea pots, pans including one enormous stock pot, frying pans, steamer, colanders, jugs, stick blender, knives and other standard cooking utensils. There is also children’s cutlery, plates, cups and bowls.
Things you may want to bring….
- Wood, matches & firelighters for the fire pits – do not use wood from Shining Cliff, it is being managed as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and the dead wood is being left on purpose to provide a habitat for mini-beasts and plants.
- During the summer & autumn months insect repellent is useful – particularly on still, windless days..
Extra things to consider…
- The hostel bedrooms (except The Far Side) do not have plug sockets in. There are electrical sockets in the lounge. The bedrooms have an overhead light only, with no individual bed lights.
- If a cuppa is one of the first things you might like to have on arrival, make switching on the hot water boiler your first job – it can then take 20-30 minutes to get to temperature whilst you lug all your belongings to the hostel and should be heated up just as you finish!
- There are 6 hostel wheelbarrows attached to a wooden A-frame in the car park which you can use to porter your belongings.
- If you do use the wheelbarrows, please ensure they are stored either in the hostel porch or locked back up at the car park.
- Sometimes groups are camping in the woodland, by prior agreement they will use the external tap just outside the kitchen window to top up their water. Please check with me if you would like to know if this would be happening during your stay.
- Shining Cliff Centre also has a Woodland Hut in the hostel grounds; groups may be using this. Again, please ask me if you would like to know if groups are using it during your stay.
- Please be aware that the footpath to the hostel is part of a public footpath.
- The car park is shared with other groups using the woodland, please park considerately to enable others to park there. Please do not park outside NetherPark farm as this can cause access problems for the people living there.